Best Essential Oil Diffusers for Large Room 2017- Top Picks and Reviews
Essential oils have been used in aromatherapy for thousands of years. Apart from spreading a lovely fragrance through the room, these volatile plant oils are known to offer holistic healing by affecting people’s emotional, physical and mental health in a positive way.
But of course, if you want to reap those benefits you need to have a medium for dispersing your essential oils. In today’s world, oil diffusers are the best for that. Compared to air fresheners and candles, they are more efficient at spreading fragrance and don’t come with harmful chemicals. Plus, regardless of what size your room is, you can get a diffuser that will disperse your essential oils to every single corner.
Depending on the size of your space, pay special attention to the diffuser you plan to buy. While most models are suitable for bedrooms, personal offices, or in the kitchen at home, for bigger areas, you’ll want to look for models are designed for large rooms.
These diffusers feature a larger-than-average water tank and a powerful dispersion mechanism that allows moisture to travel to all the corners of the large room. If you are thinking of buying one of these large-room models we have the perfect list of recommended products. But first, let’s look at some of the reasons why you actually need a diffuser in a large room.
Benefits of Using Essential Oil Diffusers in a Large Room
Oil diffusers use natural, essential oils to disperse fragrant molecules in a room. Other than the oil itself, the only other thing they release into the air is water vapor, which is harmless. So basically using a diffuser for your large room is extremely safe as far as your health, and that of the people around you is concerned. The same cannot be said for air fresheners and candles, both of which are known to contain harmful chemicals.
Oil diffusers only work with natural essential oils. These oils are known to increase relaxation by stabilizing emotions and calming you down even when you are under stress and pressure. Others like sandalwood and jasmine absolute will improve the quality of your sleep.
Essential oils like frankincense, lavender, and vetiver usually work the central nervous system by balancing and regulating it. On top of that, they also clear the lymphatic system, which in turn results in the elimination of wastes and toxins from the body. The end result is that you will have improved concentration span and focus. As a matter of fact, vetiver oil is popular for increasing the attention span of children with ADHD and ADD.
Better immune system
Some of the oils used in oil diffusers usually help to ward off certain bacteria and viruses. Cinnamon, clove bud, eucalyptus, and ginger are just a few of the oils that you can use to keep illnesses like coughs, common cold, sinus congestion, and flu away. You can always use them to improve your immunity because they will attack the illness during its onset, before it attacks you.
The aroma therapy offered by essential oils from oil diffusers is known to relieve pain, especially headaches. You don’t even have to do anything other than inhaling the fragrance. The best oils for that include lavender, sweet marjoram, and peppermint.
Sandalwood is probably the best essential oil for making people feel good. Inhaling its molecules can help in the treatment of anxiety and depression. Lime, vetiver, lavender, and rose are also great alternatives. If you have a diffuser, you can use either one or a mixture of these essential oils for mood therapy.
Perhaps the most known use of oil diffusers is to spread a pleasant, sweet smell throughout the room. A large diffuser can disperse molecules to more than just one room.
Things to Keep In Mind When Shopping For a Diffuser for a Large Room
Now you know why you need an oil diffuser. But how do you go about choosing the best model for a large room? There are several factors to keep in mind:
- Type: There are four types of oil diffusers: nebulizers, ultrasonic, evaporative and heat diffusers.
- Nebulizers usually break essential oils up into extremely tiny particles and then disperse them in the room. For that reason, they are perfect for all types of oils, including thick ones.
- Ultrasonic diffusers disperse oil molecules using high-frequency vibrations. They also work with all types of oils and are impressively quiet.
- Evaporative diffusers use a filter/pad and a fan to disperse the oil. Usually, you will have to drop the oil on the filter or pad, after which the fan will blow the pad/filter, making the oil evaporate and spread in the room. The biggest problem with these diffusers is that they are not good when used with thick oil.
- Heat diffusers work in the same way as evaporative ones, except for the fact that instead of evaporation the diffuser uses heat. Nebulizers and ultrasonic units are perfect for large areas because the fragrance they release is more concentrated that what other diffusers release
- Timer: a diffuser meant for a large room is bound to diffuse a lot of fragrance at a go. If you happen to forget to switch it off when it’s not needed it may end up wasting your essential oils. But you can prevent that from happening by choosing one with a timer so that you set the maximum run time you want. Most models have intermittent timers where you pre-determine the amount of time in hours or minutes. Depending on the model, you can set it to run for 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours or even 6 to 8 hours. Others can run for a few minutes each hour.
- Motor: if you opt for a nebulizer or ultrasonic diffuser you can choose one with a powerful motor that will spread fragrance over a big space area. Just remember to also consider a quieter motor. Generally, ultrasonic models are extremely quiet, but nebulizers will also serve you just fine.
- Water capacity: a diffuser with a powerful motor will put out a lot of fragrance at a go. You may want to consider a model with a high-capacity tank so that you’re not forced to refill it every so often. For a large room, you will need one with a water capacity of at least 300ml.
- Other factors: you can also consider additional features like the presence of an indicator that shows oil levels, a regulator for controlling how much essential oil is diffused, and the manufacturer’s guarantee and warranty.
The top 5 essential oil diffusers for large rooms
Even with the above buying guide, the sheer number of available brands and models may still make it hard for you to choose the best essential oil diffuser for a large room. That is why we have put together this list of the top five products to help narrow down your choices.
1. URPOWER 500ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser Humidifier
Overall Rating: 4.6 stars after 6,532 customer reviews
With its 500ml water tank, this diffuser from URPOWER is not just a thing of beauty but also an excellent means of spreading fragrance in a room. Its motor is so powerful you can smell the aroma even in the next room. Here are the main features:
Ultrasonic technology: it uses ultrasonic technology with a frequency of 2.4 million vibrations per second. The extremely large number of vibrations is the reason why the diffuser breaks water and essential oil molecules into very tiny micro-particles that can spread far and fast.
500ml water tank: the large water tank on this diffuser can sustain a run time of 10 straight hours in a very large space. If the water runs out the diffuser will turn off automatically.
4-timer setting: there is a timer that you can use to pre-determine how long you want it to diffuse oil. The available options are: continuously ON, 60, 120 and 180 minutes.
3 in 1 function: with this model you actually get three gadgets in one. It works as an essential oil diffuser, a humidifier, and a night light. You may want to know that there are 7 LED colors for you to choose your favorite from.
- Ultrasonic technology makes it very effective and efficient.
- Very easy to clean. It is recommended that you clean it at least once a week.
- Comes as a full package that includes the essential oil diffuser, a charger adaptor, a measuring cup and a user manual.
- Has 7 LED light options but you can turn them completely off using the OFF switch.
- Very quiet.
- You can use a mixture of two or more oils.
- Although you’ll get ‘High’ and ‘Low” mist functions, there’s really no difference between the two. Good thing that’s not something to lose sleep over.
2. TaoTronics 300ml Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser
Overall Rating: 4.6 stars after 2,483 customer reviews
The first thing that you will notice about this diffuser is its fantastic design. Although the whole diffuser is made of safe plastic, its bottom has an amazing wood grain look. Other than its aesthetic appeal, it is very easy to operate. You only need to open the lid, put water and your essential oil drops into the tank, plug it in, choose your settings, and you will be good to go. Here are more features:
Ultrasonic technology: uses ultrasonic diffusion and doesn’t produce any heat. That, coupled with how silent it is, makes it perfect for pretty much any room, including the bedroom.
3 in 1 technology: with this model you get an oil diffuser, a humidifier and source of light during the dark nights thanks to its 7-colored LED light.
300ml capacity: that is enough water and oil to spread fragrance in a large room. If you let the diffuser run continuously, it will last for up to 8 hours. The mist mode will shut off automatically when the water level is low.
Timer: the diffuser features intermittent timing with options of 1, 3 and 6 hours. You can also choose a continuous mist mode, which typically lasts for up to 8 hours after which it will power off automatically when the water runs out.
- Each of the 7 colors comes with a soft and strong option.
- Lightens the mood in a room thanks to the aroma and LED lights.
- You can turn the lights off completely.
- Very easy to clean using detergent, warm water, and a cloth.
- Comes with a user guide.
- Can work as a humidifier only, which makes it perfect for a baby’s room.
- A few customers have raised some complaints about the amount of essential oil you may have to use. While the user guide says two drops, to get the fragrance to spread in a large room, you may need to use up to 10 drops. Of course, that depends on the type of oil and the size of the room as well.
3. The Essential Wellness Essential Oil Diffuser & Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars after 1,322 customer reviews
With dimensions of 4.3 by 4.3 by 6 inches and a weight of 11 ounces, this diffuser is very portable and can be used in virtually any room, whether at home or workplace. Check out specific features below:
Ultrasonic technology: this unit uses ultrasonic diffusion to spread fragrance. That ensures your essential oils are broken down into very tiny particles without destroying their integrity and aromatherapy capabilities.
5 in 1 function: other than essential oil diffusion, this model is also an air humidifier, air purifier, ionizer and a night light with 7 changing colors.
300ml capacity: the large water tank is sufficient to fill a large room with fragrance for up to 8 hours when running continuously. If the diffuser runs out of water, it will shut the mist function off automatically.
Timer: you can determine the duration that you want the diffuser to run. There are 4 timer settings: 60, 180 and 360 minutes as well as a continuous ON function. The light function is separate from the mist function so you can control it on its own.
Made of polypropylene material: the material is eco-friendly, rugged, durable and 100% BPA free.
- With the 5 functions, it is one of the most versatile models in the market.
- Very quiet when in use.
- Has ambient and relaxing LED lights. You have the option to turn them off completely without interfering with the mist function.
- You can use it with tap water without compromising functionality or durability.
- Accepts all types of essential oils, including citrus oils.
- The LED colors are very bright even when on dim. This works as a great nightlight, but if you’re a light sleeper, there is the option of switching them off altogether.
4. VicTsing 300ml Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars after 1,031 customer reviews
With its unique, compact and wood grain design, this essential oil diffuser is perfect for you if you fancy furnishings that have a natural and primitive look. It measures a mere 6.6 by 6.6 by 4.75 inches and weighs 14.4oz, making it a very portable diffuser. You can use it in any room, including the office or fitness center. Here are more features:
Ultrasonic technology: the motor on this diffuser features a vibration frequency of 2.4 million vibrations per second for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in spreading fragrance. Even so, it is very quiet.
300ml water tank: its suitability for a large room is partly because of the 300ml water capacity which allows it to run for up to 10 continuous hours. The diffuser switches off automatically when water runs out.
Intermittent timing: there are four timer options: 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours and a steady ON mode.
Made of plastic: despite the wood grain design, the inside and outside of the diffuser are made of high-quality plastic for durability. It is completely safe and friendly to the environment.
Different light and mist functions: you can control the LED lights separately from the mist function. That means you can leave the light on and turn off diffusion or vice versa, depending on what you need at that time.
- Extremely quiet and can be used in the bedroom
- Fitted with a 7-color, adjustable LED light. You can switch each color from soft to bright.
- Automatic power off protects the diffuser from burning out when it runs out of water.
- Very simple to operate.
- Comes complete with the diffuser/humidifier, adapter, and user manual.
- Compared to the other models on this list, this particular one diffuses molecules a tad bit slower. It may take some time for them to reach every corner of a large room but eventually, they will
5. URPOWER 350ml Essential Oil Diffuser
Overall Rating: 4.5 stars after 599 customer reviews
If there is one single brand of diffuser that you can go wrong with it has to be URPOWER. That explains why we have two of their diffusers on this list and both are completely adored and highly rated by buyers. This particular model stands out for many reasons. Here are some few:
Ultrasonic technology: all the top diffusers use this technology because it is quiet and does not damage the molecules of essential oils during diffusion.
350ml water capacity: the diffuser can hold enough water to run for up to 9 hours straight and spread fragrance in a large room. Like all the other models we have reviewed, it also switches off automatically once the water runs out.
Timer: you can choose one of the three timer settings available – 3 hours, 6 hours and steady ON.
7-color LED: other than fragrance diffusion and humidification, the diffuser is also a great source of light thanks to its LED light that offers 7 warm colors for every occasion.
Package: the diffuser comes as a full package that includes the 350ml diffuser, a charger adaptor, and a user manual.
- At only 1.1 pounds, it is very portable.
- Works with all types of essential oils.
- Made of frosted plastic that is 100% BPA free.
- Works just fine with tap water.
- Ultrasonic technology makes it very quiet.
- This diffuser doesn’t have high/low mist control.
Tags: big spaces, diffusers, essential oil diffusers, large areas, large rooms, large spaces
Categorised in: Uncategorized