Safe Essential Oils for Pregnancy
Bringing a child into the world is one of the most beautiful things in existence. But for any expectant mother, soon to be, or well, basically everyone, knows that being pregnant is no walk in the park.
You may be pregnant if your menstrual periods are usually regular, but this time your periods are delayed by fifteen days to a month. Being an expectant mother is a beautiful phase in a woman’s life and is the period between conception to birth where your body carries a fertilized body.
It lasts about 40 weeks, starting from the first day of your last period and is divided into three semesters. There are various tests which you can even try at home to find out if you are pregnant or not. You may also want to visit your health professional office for confirmation and peace of mind.
While a missed menstrual period is the most obvious sign of pregnancy, some pregnant women still experiencing some light bleeding, or spotting during the beginning of their term. Your breasts swell and grow tender, your nipples grow in size, and the veins on breast surface grow more prominent as your breasts get ready for breastfeeding.
Many women have nausea and vomiting during pregnancy in the third trimester, which is worse in the mornings and triggered by some smells. Eating frequent small meals through the day helps as you may feel bad on an empty stomach.
Some women also feel very tired in the first few weeks, urinate frequently, and may have some white, creamy vaginal discharge.
More side effects
Don’t be surprised by random food cravings and weight gain. It is common to gain between 25 to 35 pounds by the end of the 3rd trimester.
Other common symptoms are:
- sensitive gums
- dried eyes
- swollen ankles
- varicose veins
It may be that some women also get chloasma, which is caused by hormonal changes and leaves blotches on the forehead, cheeks, and nose.
While the above are the common symptoms, symptoms like abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding, no fetal movement, persistent vomiting, blurry or dim vision, continuous headaches, fluid leakage from the vagina and sudden swelling of the eyelids, face or hands should not be ignored. Always talk to your doctor if you are experiencing any type of unexpected symptoms or have any concerns.
How to improve your chances of pregnancy
- Taking prenatal vitamins, particularly those with vitamin B6, and eating healthy increases your chances of conceiving.
- Time your ovulation as your chances of conceiving are higher if you have sex when you ovulate. Use ovulation kits available at the local pharmacy to find out if you are ovulating. Excessive vaginal discharge similar to egg whites also means you are ovulating.
- Reduce your caffeine intake as studies have proven that caffeine can increase the amount of time needed to conceive. It’s okay to consume only less than 200 mg of caffeine per day, which includes caffeine in coffee, chocolate, and most sodas.
- If you have been exercising, don’t change your routine as too much can make conception difficult.
- While alcohol does help you de-stress and enjoy sex better, too much is not helpful. Limit your consumption to one or two glasses of wine or 1-2 beers per day.
- Last, but not least, relax. The more relaxed and the more you enjoy sex instead of worrying about getting pregnant, the higher are the chances of conception.
Pregnancy brings with it some complications and discomfort which can be treated using the following options:
- Anemia can be helped by taking iron and folic acid supplements. Your doctor will also monitor your hemoglobin levels throughout the pregnancy to prevent possible fluctuations.
- Depression about pregnancy or childbirth can be treated using medicines, support groups or therapy. Depression should be treated as it can affect the baby’s growth.
- Gestational diabetes does not give any symptoms; but if you have pregnancy related diabetes, it is important to control your blood sugar levels by following a healthy diet and in some cases, taking insulin.
- High blood pressure has to be treated by limiting your salt and spicy intake to avoid further complications. It’s not advised to take tablets to treat high blood pressure.
- While morning sickness is tolerable, persistent nausea and vomiting should be treated by changing your diet to dry, bland foods and fluids. You may need to be hospitalized if you are dehydrated or feel faint to be fed fluids and nutrients through tubes.
A pregnant mother may find it difficult having the energy to carry on performing her multiple roles as a partner, parent, and employee normally.
That’s ok. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Remember life goes through lots of changes with a baby’s arrival.
Soon you may find your clothes not fitting, and the need to change your wardrobe to accommodate your ever expanding belly. It is also common to lose interest or become more self conscious during sex. Be sure to keep an open dialogue between yourself and your partner, so neither of you feel isolated.
Essential oils for pregnancy
It’s not possible or advised to take tablets to treat problems like depression, nausea, and gestational diabetes if you are a pregnant woman, but you can get relief using essential oils. Find out how you can use essential oils as an effective option for treating many pregnancy-related problems including:
Massaging a few drops of mandarin and neroli essential oils with your chosen carrier oil helps reduce stretch marks during pregnancy and even prevents dry and itchy skin. Even your breasts and thighs can get stretch marks which can be reduced by massaging these essential oils on the areas in question.
Who’s going to say no to a massage right?
Use- Stretch marks can also be treated by mixing 2-3 drops of lavender or rose oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil and applying to the affected region.
Peppermint, chamomile, and lavender are the best essential oils for pregnancy related headaches and migraine. Just make sure they are properly diluted and add it to your favorite carrier oil and apply to your temples for relief.
Application- Mix just a small amount, 3-5 drops of lavender or geranium oil with carrier oil into a roller ball, and massage on your legs and feet for relief from swollen ankles and feet.
Essential oils for pregnancy nausea
This one is going to get’s a larger section because essential oils for nausea during pregnancy is one of the most common uses and searches for those of you looking for relief while carrying your child. These are different than just essential oils for pregnancy, because we’re talking about that specific, can’t control, can’t be good for you, can’t stand to look or smell anything type of queasy.
If you’re lucky, you won’t experience this at all. And there is some good news for those who have gone through the birthing process before. Supposedly most expectant mothers have an easier time with their second and third child. Also, THANKFULLY morning sickness is expected to stop around week 10.
However if you find yourself getting those unpleasant gaging feelings, try the tips below and reach for your oils quickly.
Oils for nausea
Try inhaling peppermint and ginger oils to boost your overall mood and energy
Drinking some peppermint or chamomile tea for quick relief
The above, along with frankincense, sandalwood, tea tree, and lemon essential oils are safe for pregnancy.
Stay away from
- clary sage
Do not use thesse particular essential oils while pregnant as they can all induce uterine contractions that lead to miscarriage or preterm labor.
Essential oils should never be ingested by mixing with food or drinks while pregnant if you’re not sure how to use essential oils safely. This is because if the oils aren’t safe for consumption, they will not dissolve in water but remain floating in your stomach. This may cause irritation to your stomach’s sensitive mucous membranes.
You’re creating the miracle of life and bringing another person into the world. You’re doing enough. There is no reason to suffer more pain or discomfort than you need to. Use the tips above and you will find essential oils safe for pregnancy, and possibly your new best friend. That is until your new bundle of joy arrives.