Essential Oils for Canker Sores
Growing up canker sores were something I was familiar with. My mom was allergic to cantaloupe, but still ate it from time time, unfortunately resulting in canker sores.
Now, I know they weren’t comfortable, but I didn’t know just how annoying they could be until I experienced them myself later on in life while I was wearing braces.
Canker sores manifest inside the mouth or in the inner lining of the throat in form of a white or yellow sore with red edges. They’re easily confused with cold sores but they are actually very different and more discomforting.
Canker sores are not cold sores
- Cold sores appear outside the mouth, usually on the lips, while canker sores are inside the mouth.
- Cold sores also appear as red balls unlike the white/yellow nature of canker sores.
The mentioning of canker sores alone is more than enough to trigger cold shivers in people that have had these sores before.
Especially if they’re on your tongue, it can make eating and talking unbearable. It forces you to stay away from citrus, certain food, wine, and so on. Even just opening the mouth alone can be painful.
Canker Sores Symptoms
The best way to escape the pain caused by these sores is by identifying the symptoms as fast as they appear and taking the relevant treatment measures immediately.
The common signs include:
- A burn or tingle in your mouth: This symptom occurs around 24 hours or so before the sores pop up.
- A red bump: The bump may then take two or one days before it bursts to expose the painful white, yellow or grey sore
- Unexplainable pain on the inner walls of your mouth.
Causes of canker sores
- Allergies – Some people have severe allergies to certain foods and compounds which if consumed results in these sores.
- Diet – Sometimes these sores are a punishment for your unhealthy eating habit. Sufficient Vitamin B12, iron and other nutrients are vital in preventing canker sores.
- Hot Food –The pain and distress that these sores put you through will make you reconsider the next time you are thinking of taking hot food and drinks in a rush.
- Stress – Anxiety and emotional pressure can cause also cause canker sores.
- Gender – You are probably wondering how in the world your gender can influence the appearance of canker sores. Well, clinical studies have proven that women are at a higher risk of getting these sores than men. This is due to hormonal differences. Women in the menstrual cycle are at an even higher risk than the rest.
Other causes include; illnesses, braces and dentures, sodium lauryl sulfate, mouth injuries and dental procedures.
|1||#1 Lavender Oil||doTERRA Lavender Essential Oil|
|2||doTERRA Oregano Essential Oil|
|3||Artizen Clove Essential Oil|
|4||Good for Everything||doTERRA Melaleuca (Tea Tree) Essential Oil|
Essential oils for canker sores
Keep in mind canker sores are easier to prevent than to treat. If you can eat healthy, practice good hygiene, protect your mouth and mind your psychological health, this goes a long way in saving yourself from their misery.
In case you are already a victim, the goal then becomes to ease the uncomfortableness and get rid of them as quickly as possible.
The following are highly efficient essential oils that have a proven track record of successfully treating canker sores:
1. Melissa Oil
If you are a big fan of essential oils then you might know that Melissa oil is a personal favorite of those who believe it is unmatched when it comes to dealing with canker sores. This oil has a potent antibacterial agent that treats sores with speed. Its positive reviews make it highly recommendable.
Suggested use: Apply some drops of Melissa oil on your canker sores three times daily to see fast results.
2. Lavender oil
Lavender oil is a widely used essential oil with vast therapeutic benefits in its name. It is used as an antiseptic and antibacterial oil that can treat canker sores. Its analgesic ability also enables it to dull the associated pain.
Directions: The oil is applied directly to sores. Lavender oil is a safe agent, but you are still advised to avoid swallowing it.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another powerful essential oil with antibacterial properties with are used to treat both fungal and bacterial infections. This oil helps not just to treat the sores, but also to reduce the pain as the healing process continues. This should allow you to take your meals and speak a little more comfortably.
Apply: This oil is also best utilized through directly applying a drop or two to the canker sores while taking care not to ingest it.
4. Clove Oil
Clove oil has been used in treating oral and dental pain. It numbs the affected areas and gives you a sweet relief followed by rapid healing. Some people have witnessed its power to get ride of canker sores just 24 hours after applying!
Note: After applying the oil expect an initial burning sensation that subsides within minutes after which all the pain should disappear.
5. Wild Oregano Oil
Wild Oregano is a versatile oil linked with antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral benefits. As such, you can expect it to deal with the canker sore pain in a matter of minutes and heal the entire thing within two days.
Like clove, this oil will also cause an initial burning feeling that disappears within two minutes.
Use: Apply wild oregano oils on the sore and leave it there for 10 minutes. This should be done 2 or 3 times per day for optimal results.
See you never canker sores!
Why would you let canker sores dictate your day and mood when you can effectively treat them with essential oils? Say bye bye pain, hello food, smooches, and showing off your beautiful smile with these remedies above.