Young Living or doTerra – What essential oil brand should you buy?
New to the essential oil world or not, you’ve probably heard of these two brands Young Living and doTERRA. They’re known to be two of the most popular essential oil companies and offer a wide range of certified pure therapeutic grade oils and diffusers on the market.
The problem is choosing between them. It’s almost impossible.
Now, if you have the money, of course, you can try both. The two companies are renowned for dealing in incredible non-adulterated, cold pressed oils that can change your life. Furthermore, they have also partnered with different scientists and hospitals to advance the research on essential oils. However, even though both companies are good, it takes a little further digging to see what essential oil brand is the best for you.
Let’s do a little more research and see how they stack up against each other. Then you’ll be able to choose a company that will give you quality products that will suit your needs, budget, and preferences.
Comparing doTerra verse Young Living Oils
When it comes to your oils, you want to make sure they’re good quality and they’re going to last. If they’re easy on your wallet, that’s a bonus too. By taking a look at various important factors, you’ll get a better idea how each company makes, prices, and offers their oils.
The below comparison of Young Living vs. doTerra essential oils can help you in choosing the company with the products that will suit your needs.
Time on the Market
Founded in 2008, doTerra has swiftly grown in the essential oil industry, effectively reaching the younger demographic with some of the most attractive marketing techniques. On the other hand, Young Living has been around for about twenty years.
- Verdict- If you are grading the two companies based on the length of time they have been on the market as well as the time of sustained growth, Young Living will definitely pulls ahead of doTerra.
A quick comparison has shown that Young Living carries more than 87 single oils and more than 70 blends, while doTerra carries over 18 blends and 39 blends and 39 single essential oils. For instance, as of June 2015, Young Living was stocking up to 132 unique blends and 90 single oils while doTerra had 42 single essential oils and 19 blends.
- Verdict- Based on these numbers, Young Living comes out ahead of doTerra regarding the variety of products it allows you to enjoy.
Price is important. Now, if you’re just a occasional buyer, you won’t enjoy the same prices as a wholesale buyer, which both companies offer. Surveys of similar blends and singles have shown that doTerra’s essential oils are approximately $1 to $5 cheaper at retail as well as wholesale prices.
- A 15 ml bottle of doTerra oils will costs $20-$45.
- While a 15 ml Young Living bottle costs $25 -$45.
Both companies are considered more on the expensive side than other popular brands, but are still in high demand, because of their excellent quality. Even though the price differences may not be so dramatic, doTerra will be friendlier to your pocket by shaving off one or two dollars per bottle.
- Verdict- All in all, regardless of the company, purchasing your essential oils in large quantities will enable you to enjoy wholesale discount prices on your orders.
As an essential oil supplier, Young Living owns and grows plant materials, distills and tests the quality of their products using proprietary techniques and even contracts third party providers to make sure everything is in order. They oversee the production of their oils from start to finish and have a reputation of never compromising on quality.
On the other hand, doTerra is just a re-bottler as they do not grow their own plants or personally distill their own essential oils. They normally contract exclusive growers, as well as third party suppliers and usually test their oils at third party labs.
- Verdict- While doTerra is involved in the production of their oils by selecting only the best farms and submits their oils to 3rd party testing for quality control, no company can beat the quality control implementations that Young Living takes in the manufacturing and distributing of their oils.
Starter Kit Options
The two companies offer starter kits which give you an opportunity to introduce yourself to the many different aromas and benefits of various essential oils, rather than buying them individually.
A doTerra introductory kit will give you larger oil vials, when compared to the Young Living premium starter kit, but they are also a bit more expensive. However, if you store your essential oils properly, you can extend their shelf life, and they will last longer. Meaning, in the long run, the larger bottles might pay off.
- Verdict- I’m calling a tie on this one. Both are great options to get your started and let you play around with less common oils that you might end up loving.
If you are looking for a company that is always keeping you up to date on the latest promotions, blends, carrier oils, or new products available doTerra might be your best option. With frequent emails and numberous recourse websites, you’ll have all the information you need at your fingertips, in case you want to find out more information about their products or what’s currently available.
On the other hand, Young Living emails only come a few times every month. The best part is that the first email for the month usually provides all the information you may need to know about upcoming launches or events. When it comes to their website, Young Living’s seems to have more sections dedicated to product training and how to sell their oils, than information. Both sites are easy to navigate.
- Verdict- If you’re one of those people who really love to be in tune with that’s going on, doTerra has you covered. But, if you’re not interested in being spammed by updates between your orders, Young Living may be the better choice. Of course, you can always use your filters to control how often, and what notices you get from either company.
Their Reward Systems
Free stuff! Yay!
Both companies offer rewards programs and wholesale incentives for their best users and sellers. With the rewards programs, you as their customer, are able to earn points that you can use to “buy” or exchange for free products. At certain times throughout the year, both companies are also known to offer free products with any qualifying purchase, so even if you’re not part of the rewards program, you don’t have to feel completely left out.
For instance, doTerra, will give you additional points if you come back and purchase their products after a year. With your points you can quality for a free 15ml oil or 10ml roll every month with any qualifying purchases that are more than 200 points (valued at 200 dollars).
On the other hand Young Living usually offers a free 5ml and a 15ml oil at a 190 point level (valued at 190), with another 5ml oil if you sign up for the Essential Rewards. To stay in the Young Living EssentiaL rewards program, you need to have a minimum order of 50 PV (point value) every month, and a minimum of 50 PV yearly just to keep your status as an active wholesale member. For reference, usually each dollar you spend = 1 PV.
The more you sell, the more freebies and perks you get. Use them for oils, diffusers, or promotional items. There is always something new and interesting to cash the points in for. Note that to maintain your doTerra wholesale membership account, you are required to pay a $25 annual subscription fee. As for Young Living, you are only required to purchase 50 PV per year as a wholesale customer.
- Verdict- We’re torn on this one. If you sell or purchase over 50 dollars’ worth of products a year, you’ll be able to keep your Young Living Wholesale price. However, to get the extra extra perks of the essential rewards, you’ll have to spend or sell over 50 PV per month. Which may or may not be difficult. With doTerra, there is an annual fee, but you don’t have to sell or buy as rigorously to stay in their rewards program.
Doing Business With The Company
From the business opportunity perspective, Young Living seems to be much easier to understand and hence easier to explain to other people as well. With both companies participating in MLM programs, have a clear business plan is a big plus when you’re trying to interest potential customers.
Unfortunately doTerra is much more complicated, and you may find it cumbersome to explain their products, and business structures to the people you may want to involve in the venture. This could significantly affect your earnings.
- Verdict- As far as joining in and attracting people into your MLM plan, Young Living has a much more straightforward model and rewards program. This is why you’ve probably seem many Young Living sellers and distributers compared to lower doTerra numbers. This information doesn’t affect you if you’re an individual consumer, just looking to buy essential oils though. So don’t worry if you’re not familiar with their marketing scheme.
How Does doTerra work- Final Verdict
Studies have shown that throughout history, essential oils are a simple to use product and have been used for medicinal purposes where they were used to treat skin conditions, respiratory problems, and even cancer. Whatever your specific reason, it’s important to buy from a reputable company that will guarantee you great quality products that will address your needs.
While these two are the main players in the essential oil world, they’re not the only ones you can choose from. Take a look at 8 amazing lesser known essential oil brands, for more choices. Some have outstanding quality, others have a completely organic line, and two brands have a dedicated kids friendly line of essential oils as well.
However, Young Living and doTerra are two of the top names for a reason. Hopefully the review gives you some information so you are able to make an informed decision on the types of essential oil that will suit your needs.